5 ways to beat the January blues
It’s mid January, and the Christmas party season seems like a distant memory. There’s still a lot of month left before payday for many, and the dark, stormy days make it seem like a long time until spring.
It’s easy to understand why many people feel the January blues.
So how can you get through it, and find enthusiasm to take you through to spring?
- Use your time to plan for activities later in the year. You could book a holiday, enter your sporting events for the year. Travel companies report that mid January is one of their peak booking times, as people start dreaming of their vacations once Christmas is over. It give you something to look forward to, and a job ticked off your to do list.
- Get outside. Even though it is often dark and grey, get outside as much as you can during daylight hours. S.A.D (seasonal affective disorder) can really hit at this time of year after several months without much sunshine. If you are affected by this, then getting out when it’s sunny can really help. Just wrap yourself from any wind or chill and you’ll get a real boost
- Get active. Head to the gym or a pool if the weather is bad, or get out for a run, walk or bike ride on better days. Exercise is proven to lift your mood as well as the obvious health benefits. Maybe it’s the time to start a new sport, inspired by events you may have booked in the first points – marathon entry??
- Keep a check on your finances. The last couple of months of a year often hits our bank accounts hard, but you can use the quiet time of January to give your finances a health check. Determine how to clear down your credit cards, get a plan in place that you can follow so that you progress through 2020 in a healthier finance state than the last year.
- Chill out. Most of all, use January to recharge your batteries. Cosy up with loved ones and relax, pay attention to your diet, get plenty of sleep, consider it a temporary hibernation so that you can start the year refreshed and full of energy.
Category: Motivation and MindsetTags: action, active, activity, energy, exercise, finances, focus, gym, holidays, inspiration, life hacks, recharge, relax, sleep